CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The best word I heard all day was....

Optimistic :)

I had an appointment with our family doctor today. To get a referral to a pediatrician who will do a psych evaluation on Mason to test for Autism.

He seemed surprised to see me from the start. I'm not a Mom who has her kids to the doctor for every sniffle, so I guess when he sees me, he knows it's for real. So, there we were. And of course, Mason. was. an. ANGEL! Normally he hates the doctor's office, but he seems to have turned a bit of a corner on that one, and is tolerating them much better. But I digress.

So I told him about Mason occasionally lining up his toys, and even less frequently flapping his hands. How he hates straying from his routine, and how he has a very hard time with transitions, and shopping, and obeying the rules. How he is having some difficulty with his peers, in regards to engaging them in play, and treating them appropriately(He's very hands on, which is very unacceptable). I explained that he has significant speech delays, and that I have wondered off and on since he was an infant what it was that makes Mason SO different from his siblings and peers.

The Dr asked about Mason's eye contact, which is limited at best, but not blank and lifeless. He asked if he was toilet trained, if he could say Mommy, Daddy and how he would typically ask for something, such as Juice. He is, he can, yes, and he says "MOM! I want JUICE! In a WHITE CUP! PLEASE!" The Dr. asked if there was any family history, and I initially said no, and then changed my opinion because I seriously think my brother has Aspergers (and OMG, I can't believe my computer is telling me Aspergers is spelled wrong!), but that my brother has never been diagnosed.

Then the DR mentioned that he knew I have three kids, and asked what I was doing for work now. I told him daycare, but that less than a year ago I was working with children who have Autism. He kinda smiled at that, and asked if maybe I was a bit biased? I wasn't too sure what he meant, but answered with this...

"I don't know if Mason has Autism. If he does, he is very high functioning, and for that I am grateful. If he doesn't then that's even better. Because no one Ever wants to hear that their child has a neurological disorder." I said "All I know is that from the time he was just a baby, he's been different. He was too quiet for too long. and then when he stopped begin quiet, he was SO different from all the other children I know of the same age, that he really stands out. And if he's not standing out, he's sitting alone, playing as though no one else is in the room" I told him "I don't know if Mason has Autism, but I NEED to know what is making him different. And if it's Autism, so be it, but I also feel the same way if it's ADHD, if it's Oppositional Defiance Disorder, if it's Sensory Integration Disorder, or if it just boils down to Mason being Mason. I just need an answer. I've struggled with this for more than long enough now, and I need an Answer."

And that's when Mason hopped off the table, and stood with his back against the measuring tape thingy on the wall, looked at me and said "Measure Mason!" And that's when my Dr looked at me with the greatest smile, and said, "I think you might be wasting your time, I don't see Autism". He said, That's a very complex idea he's grasping there, and a child with Autism probably wouldn't be able to grasp that" I told him that Academically, Mason is very smart, ahead of his peers in many many areas. It's the simple stuff that we're missing, that is causing us the trouble. Like sitting for circle time, or wearing a hat when it's cold.

The Dr. just smiled, patted me on the back, told me I was doing a great job, and then he looked at Mason and said, "I'm optimistic" :)

So I'm going to be optimistic too. I'm not going to give up on my search for the rooth of all this. But I am optimistic about his diagnosis. Whatever that may be.

6 comments:

Julie Q said...

Sounds like we are in a similiar boat with our younger boys.

The hand flapping when excited, may drive me nuts, but, it's the worst thing he does. (my boy that is) :)

I think being optimistic is good! :) And you are doing a wonderful job with him!

Jackie said...

So, it's not enough that our boys have similar-ish speech delays and are almost exactly the same age (what, within 20some days?), we have to have had similar conversations with a professional about what makes them different.

Lisa, my friend, I am crying right now remembering going through a very similar appointment with Gabriel. Except, it wasn't his doctor, it was a "parenting coach" who basically told me that if I took Gabriel to be evaluated, they'd have about a 30 second conversation with him and send me on my way. They wouldn't even evaluate him. From that point, I gave up looking for a "diagnosis" for him. I thought we'd just make due as we needed and make adjustments TO him and not have him make them to us and it seems to have worked for us, mostly. I think that once I stopped looking for a "reason" he was different, it helped me start enjoying him & helping him be the best Gabriel HE can be, because that's who he is, just Gabriel, my Gabriel.

Know that I am here for you to laugh, cry and commiserate as we try to raise our unique boys in a world that strives for normalcy or labels!

I love you my friend. And I think that being optimistic is a GREAT thing!!!

MamaTink said...

Aw Jackie! Now you have me crying :')

I think my fear through all of this lies within the fact that he starts Kindergarten next September, and I don't know how to explain him to his future teachers. I guess if I can anticipate the phone calls home, and the blue forms of death (AKA, you're kid's getting suspended :)) Then I can deal with those situations better. But then I still feel that, I'm his translator, and interpreter and excuse maker (guilty), and I don't want him to get lost in the system... ya know? I want the best for him, and I want him to be treated the best possible way...not "Oh look, there's Mason the bully" When there could be an explanation for it. Does that make sense?

Not that I really want a label for him, or a fall-back excuse. Just an answer I can give to the parents who look at me like my son has three heads and like I'm not doing everything I can to control him.

He is SUCH a great kid. He gets compliments left right and center about how FUNNY he is. And this optimism has helped me to further appreciate that.

I wish there was a way to skip this part :) To get him to a point where he can be the class clown, and have people accept him as just that. But when they are three, there are so many expectations, and he's just not quite there.

Anyway... thank you Jackie! It's SO comforting to know that there's someone else out there, someone that I just love so very much, that can understand the wacky verbal diarrhea that I just spewed into my own comments :)

You're Frantastic :)

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I know how you feel. You don't want to label Mason, you just want an answer. I am the same with Jusden. I want to be able to handle him better and if there is a real reason why he is the way he is then that will better my ability.
With school I have found that approaching the teachers before school starts and explaining his quirks it helps his teacher approach him better. As long as they are prepared everyone fares better. I get weekly (usually) calls from his teacher as well as a weekly progress chart. Let the teacher know that they can contact you any time for any reason. Being in constant contact does wonders.

You are the best mom for what Mason needs. You love him unconditionally and you fight for him. It's hard at times, I know, but it will pay off.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

HUGS... I'm glad that Mason is getting attention from medical professionals and that so far diagnoses are optimistic. I'm sure he'll do great because with a Mom like you how could he not!

Anonymous said...

Lisa what you also need to keep in mind is your husband was very...very similar in behaviour when he was Mason's age. At times as parents we have atendency to over worried about developmental problems. When Joseph was Mason's age I was told he had some sort of "learning disorder" because he could not read yet! He was only 2 at the time!!! I had you tutor him when we lived in Barrie because of learning concerns and behaviour concerns at school. Now look at him! Just a few things to keep in mind. Mason is a very bright young man. With you as a Mom he can't go wrong!