CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A breath of fresh air.

Actually, i think that title might be inaccurate. A breath might be better. Because after Mason's OT (occupational therapy) assessment today, I feel like I finally took a breath in regards to helping Mason. And along with that breath come about 3 years of tears. Some that I shed, and some that I held back... but now all being released in the relief that we're gonna get help. We're going to finally get to know what makes Mason tick.

S (the OT) used a lot of big words that I will be Googling once I get her report :) But it would seem as though his need to run, and his need to escape, and his need to play with Play-Doh, and sand, and rice, and water, and shaving cream, are all normal for someone with the degree of Sensory issues Mason has. It would seem that him needing to be wrapped up like a burrito, or to be sitting pushed against someone at circle time, are normal for him. NORMAL. I have finally found my son's normal. And oh my goodness.... I can't ever begin to explain how relieved I am. *insert gush of tears here!*

S said such magical words... "We're going to make sure that the school understands how to accommodate Mason, so that he can reach his full potential." She saw, from the Moment he sat in his special chair, that he is such a fantastically smart little boy. He completed almost all of her challenges. And gave her a delightful display of how sticky, and stubborn he can be when he can't accomplish something. (He had a hard time cutting out a circle. Had a melt down (although, a calm one, for him). And then we were able to re-direct him onto something different. he never did go back to the circle, so that's something I'll have him practice here at home, but really... I'm okay with that :)

Unlike some of the other journey's we've been on with Mason, I'm excited to go down this path. Excited to have something to fall back on. Excited to have found a support system that understands by boy like no other. Speech helped. His resource teacher has become great. His pre-school has been Amazing. But OT? That's where it's at baby :)

Off to breath, and cry (the good tears). Finally.

2 comments:

Julie Q said...

I am so happy for you Lisa. Mason too. :)

And thank you...again...for helping me figure out my own boy's issues. :)

Jackie said...

YAY! YAY! YAY!!
SO glad you found the answers and someone with those answers that will make your life easier. You won't have to butt your head against the wall quite so much.
Know that I am rejoicing, truly rejoicing, with you today!! Hooray!!