CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Update on Mason

So, since Mason was about a year old, I have wondered about his speech. I let it slide a few more months, listening to what people say about boys being slower. He got a few more sounds, and I let it go a bit longer. Then at about 18-20 months he was calling us Mommy and Daddy. None of this mama and dada stuff for him! I thought perhaps he needs to wait to say the word when he knows he's got it perfect?? Then I noticed other people were having a harder and harder time understanding him, and I was interpreting for him SO much more than I should be for a 2 year old.

I did some research, and he didn't seem to hit any of the markers for concerns about speech. He could put two words together, was Very receptive (he was shaking his head yes and no appropriately at 8 months old!!), seemed to understand what we were saying to him and so on.

And then the crying. wouldn't. stop. I thought for a rather long time that he had some form of Autism. He wasn't speaking, the constant crying, I thought he was stimming when he was trying to calm himself, he was SO attached to me, didn't play well...and sooo much more. I talked to my doctor about my concerns about his speech and behaviour, and he gave me the number for the Preschool Speech and Language program. It's run for free (through OHIP) at our local hospital. So, I called them, and they sent out a 12 page assessment form to fill out. Daunting to say the least. They also require a hearing test.

So, we did the hearing test. And he failed it. I knew, sitting in the little room with him that he had failed. He wasn't hearing some things at all. it was so sad. But at least it gave me a reason for his speech issues!! Something to cling to for a little while. He didn't follow my instructions because he couldn't hear me! Of course! He didn't come back when I called him because he couldn't hear me! look at that. It was silly of me to hang onto that. I feel bad about that. So, back to my doctor with the results of the Audiologist. My doctor wouldn't do anything about a possible wax buildup in his ears because Mason was too young, and he didn't want to cause damage. So, we got a referral to an ENT. for 2 1/2 months later.

All this time, a lot of people were still telling me he was just a bit slow, and to give him time, blah blah blah :) A mother knows though, usually :) I knew my little boy was having trouble, and if he could just Tell me what he wanted, the crying would stop!!! That was the hardest time in my life I think. Waking up every morning to the crying, and hearing it all day until he fell asleep at night.

So, I filled out the speech assessment, and then kinda sat on it for awhile. I think I went into a bit of the denial everyone else was pushing at me. Finally, I mailed it in. And finally, Al got on board with me.

The ball started rolling. Not just lightly along, but at full speed down the hill!! He was accepted into the Preschool speech program. But there's a waiting list of 10-14 months!! What bullshit that is let me tell you!

So, Al was at our doctor's for something unrelated, and got talking to him about Mason. Our Dr wrote out a prescription for speech therapy, and gave Al a referral to a Speech Clinic!! And the BEST part is that the Therapy is covered by Al's work benefits!! And because it's a prescribed treatment, we don't even have to pay the 20% like most other things!!

So, last Wednesday I called The Speech Clinic to see what kind of openings I could get for him in the summer. The woman told me that she had TWO openings the next DAY!! Crazy! I couldn't do that, but she also had a spot on Saturday, so I snapped that up!

I took him in for the assessment, and he definitely has speech delays. Fairly significant delays, but not devastating ones. Everything is correctable with time. I am soooo relieved.

His issues are that he drops consonants. So for example, when he says Daddy, it comes out like Daa-ee. Aidan sounds like Ian. Chocolate is Wok-wit. He's not using the letters S, L and R. and B's and P's are being used inconsistently. He's substituting vowels all over the place, and he's trying to get his words out so fast, that we're only catching the last word in the sentence. So, lots to work on, but at least now we know!!! He'll go to speech therapy every other week. I am so relieved.

So, back to his hearing problems!! He had his appointment with the ENT today. And although the news wasn't great, it certainly could have been worse. Mason has enlarged adenoids. And they will need to be removed. They are blocking the fluid from draining, making everything he hears sound as though he's hearing it underwater. Makes perfect sense!! He'll also get tubes in his ears to help clear the way for the drainage. He gave Mason another hearing test, and it DOES NOT look like he has hearing loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooo relieved about that!!!!

So, to sum up this novel!! He needs Speech therapy. And he needs surgery for his adenoids and tubes in his ears. I can't imagine what kind of kid he will be when we're all done with this!! I can't wait to find out :)

4 comments:

Julie Q said...

Wow Lisa.

I can't wait to here what comes from him after all that.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

oh that is good news! I'm thrilled that both balls are rolling and everything will be settled for him soon!

HUGS

Anonymous said...

Am so glad that he can get the help he needs, Lisa.
My oldest DD is just finishing speech therapy that she started in preschool, and it has made a WORLD of difference - now she won't stop talking! I do remember a girl from school having the adenoid surgery to combat her dreadful snoring (sleep issues???) Hope all is well with you & rest of your crew.

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

Pharm Tech RDC '06

Stephanie said...

Awesome news!! Kids are sponges - he'll progress so quickly once he gets started!