A rant if you will. Except that I am, so you won't have to, so don't! haha. blah.
Mason is still sick. Not as sick as he was, but still sick :( He threw up again last night, after another day of diarrhea. And then he was so sleepy and not himself :( So, we put him to bed, Al went to the gym, and I called telehealth. (A free service, where one can call a nurse and get medical advice for non emergencies. Great concept. Poor execution.)
I've had a few reasons to call telehealth in the past 7 years of parenting that I've done. I don't remember calling them before becoming a mother. Guess I knew it all back then haha. I would bet that about 90% of the times I've called, they have advised me to seek immediate medical attention. The one time they were Really helpful was when they told me I could give Mason a higher dose of Benedryl when he had the allergic reaction to Penicillin. Thank you. Other than that.. it's all doom and gloom over there.
Last night was no different. As I said, Mason is still sick. He's not eating, and yesterday he all but stopped drinking. He's boycotting drinking because I am an horrid mother, who wouldn't let him have chocolate milk. DUDE! You have been puking for THREE DAYS!! Nuh uh are you having chocolate milk!! Well.. okay, for the love of all that is precious, yes, have this little drink of chocolate milk. Please, just drink babycakes!! And then he barfed. Lesson learned. ANYWAY!!
I called telehealth. When they finally called me back AN HOUR LATER!! We went through the requisite, Is he breathing, alive, moving etc. yes yes yes etc. They asked if he had been peeing, and I really didn't know. He's had diarrhea, so I've kept a pull-up on him. Beats me if there was pee in them!! He wasn't asking to go pee, but he had also slept almost all day. A few more questions, and it was decided that he was severely dehydrated and needed to get to the hospital STAT. EEK!! Freak me the hell out why don't you!!?? I should have known, but this was my very sick boy we were talking about, and I wasn't messing around anymore. He had me really worried.
So, I call Al to come home from the gym, and then packed Mason up and off we went, for a three hour nap in the hospital. Well, Mason napped, I read, played with my hair, yawned and felt my ass go to sleep in three different chairs. I am SO not complaining about the 3 hours. I know Full well how lucky we were to get in and out of there in 3 hours.
So, we saw the doctor, who confirmed that yes, Mason is dehydrated, but not in an emergency type of way. She said considering how sick he's been, he's doing pretty good. He's got the Flu. A very classic case. It should run it's course in 7-10 days :( So, in the meantime, I'm Lysoling everything he looks at and praying that no one else gets it.
Mason ate a bit today. A bite of a peanut butter sandwich, and 1 1/4 perogies. :) He's lost 4 pounds already, but everyone assures me that he'll be fine if he drinks... now if only I could convince him to do that. :(
Thursday, April 02, 2009
Poor Mason :( And, Stupid telehealth.
Posted by MamaTink at 7:20 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Will he eat popsicles? Or a special treat kind of popsicle?
When my big kids were little, they had these adorable Mickey Mouse ones. I only bought them when they were sick, so they'd want to eat them then.
I hope he gets to feeling better soon and no one else gets sick Lisa.
Post a Comment