CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Just want to shake her!

Jenna is frustrating me. She's such a smart girl. But she's not trying. Her teacher has talked to me a few times about her lack of effort at school. Her marks are falling dramatically, and I don't know what to do! I've never worried about Jenna. Maybe that the problem.

Last year she would bring her homework home on Monday, and be so excited about it that it would be done and ready to hand in for Tuesday morning! This year is a completely different story. She brings her homework home on Monday, and Thursday night I'm pulling my hair out because she's been so lazy about it, and we're struggling to get it done. I'm soo not used to nagging her about getting it all done.

I think the worst part is that she's just not TRYING!! She'll pretend to try. When she's reading she'll make the sound of the first letter (if that) and then say "it's too hard, I don't know it." Or "this word is way too long, it's hard, i can't do it" And no matter how many times we tell her that she's so smart, and so talented and so wonderful, she still won't try to prove it to us.

At her Parent/Teacher interview we talked about it with Jenna (her teacher and I), and Jenna said "I'll just stay in at recess to finish my work". Um NO! Not the point dear! So then her teacher said that if Jenna was able to prove that she was trying her best, and started getting her work done in class, that she COULD stay in for recess, to do FUN stuff. Not her work. Jenna was really excited about that. But it hasn't happened yet. She just doesn't seem to care that she's falling behind.

I can't threaten her or bribe her any more than I already have, nothing is working to motivate her.

I do have one thought, and that is that Jenna sits beside the smartest girl in the class. M gets to do lots of extras and fun stuff because she gets her work done so quickly. Jenna is jealous. She's very competitive (like her Mama). I'm wondering if I should ask for Jenna to be moved to sit next to someone more on her level? Maybe she'll gain some confidence back? Do I as a parent have the right to ask that? I guess it can't hurt to ask right??

And NOW! She keeps calling to come home from school, saying that she's sick. It's happened 4 times now this year. And not once has she actually been sick. But it's been too late to take her back to school once I realize it :( But she swears nothing is going on at school to upset her.

I just don't get it. I feel like pulling a move from the V8 commercials, where the people get bonked on the head for not eating their vegetables. But I doubt it will do any good :(

4 comments:

Beanhead said...

Hey there Lisa,

It is so tricky when the one kid you usually don't have to worry about acts up a bit hey?

I agree with you that it is a great idea to have her moved in her class. If Jenna is even a little bit competitive it might be bringing her down a bit, even more so if the other girl is just as competitive :(

It certainly isn't going to hurt anything. You do have that right as a parent to suggest that move (especially since you and the teacher are already trying to figure things out together).

Last, I hate to say it....perhaps it is just a small rebellious phase that she is trying out. Maybe it is for extra attention, maybe to see how far she can go...who knows? I know that my Abbey (the one that I don't have to worry about as much) has been pushing me to the extreme limits with attitude and back talk.
Would it destroy our kids to just let us parents have a freakin' day off once in a while where we can just breathe?? :)

Hang in there sweets. Sorry this was so long winded.

Brenda

Erin~Leigh said...

I agree it wouldn't hurt to see if moving her would benefit her inthe classromm but maybe suggest that the teacher switch the whole class around that way she doesn't feel like she's in trouble or being centered out!...kwim?
However I do hope also that it is a small growing up phase that she's gowing thru and she will make her way out of it!

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

With Sarah it's all about her "currency" or what will get her motivated. You're more than welcome to use a sleepover at Sarah's house as currency :)

GL

Julie Q said...

$1 store items motivate Zachary to behave. With him it's doing homework (at home), getting ready for bed, etc.

You could keep a chart and have a reward system?

In the mean time, moving her can't hurt. Perhaps she is talking to the girl too much? That is also usually my boys problem! ;)