CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Big Turk?

Back in September of last year, Al called me to tell me about some kittens that had been found at work. It didn't take me long after seeing a picture of them to say that I wanted to give the little Orange guy a home :) I love orange kitties :) It didn't take long for Copper to become one of the family. He's crazy like the rest of us :)

I've long said that we should never have named him Copper, after the dog on The Fox and the Hound. Because he is soooo much more like a dog than a cat!! Seriously!! He chases his tail, he greets visitors at the door, he turns in a circle before he lays down to go to sleep, he plays fetch like a champ! I joke with Aidan sometimes that if we had named him Tuna like he wanted to, the cat would act like a fish!

So fast forward to today. I took Copper in for his first shots and a check up. He's perfectly healthy. A whopping 10 pounds already at 6 months old. The most exciting part of the check up was when the vet said that she thinks Copper is probably part Turkish Van breed! She asked if he likes water, and he absolutely does!! He hops in the shower all the time, he plays with the drips from the facets. He's not a huge fan of having a bath... but he doesn't fight it like Louie does!

I came home and Googled the breed, and while his markings are wrong (colouring is right, but Vans usually have a white body, and coloured tail, with markings on the head as well, Copper is white and Orange all over), which makes him a Van-Alike, the characteristics are uncannily like Copper!! Right down to how they shred curtains!! When we returned from our trip to Timmins there was only about 18 inches of our shower curtain left hanging! The brat. :)

He's also insanely affectionate. He loves to cuddle up beside the kids. And he's the most patient cat I have EVER met. It takes a good cat to survive living in a house with three kids plus extra kids every day!

The vet told me that he'll likely be a big boy when he reaches maturity. Orange Male cats are generally bigger, and as a Turkish Van, his chances increase again! I think I'll change his name to Big Turk :)

1 comments:

Julie Q said...

He sounds adorable Lisa. :)