So... I've been harbouring a dirty little secret since October. Not that it's really a secret. And it's not at all dirty. But I feel a bit like it's turned into that since I didn't make a big announcement at the time. Precious few people know. And the ones that do, are the ones I chose because they are important to me, and my family, they are the ones that I knew would understand. The ones I wanted on my team. Don't be offended if I didn't tell you. I was biding my time with some people, and I will explain my reasons in a moment. I don't know who Al has told. And in fact, I have only told one of my children (for now). and 1 other person who cornered me one day. I haven't really intentionally kept the news a "secret", but i was very choosy about who I told. I think that's my right. And whether or not that was right or wrong I'm sure would make a wonderful debate.
That dirty little secret is that Mason was diagnosed with Autism in October. I didn't want to make a big deal about it. At first, it hurt too much to say the words. I went through the testing to prove to the resource teachers, and the speech paths, and the OT's and whoever else, that Mason did NOT have Autism. I'm still not convinced, but that's another story for another day. Anyone that knows Mason, or has known me, or has read my blog in the past 4 years knows that there have always been questions there. but they also (I hope) know what a fantastic kid Mason is. How charming, and funny, and caring, and complex, and thoughtful he is. And THAT was the Mason I wanted to show the world. I didn't want my son to become the label, or the label to become my son. The school knows, and my parents know, and Mason's caretakers know. And some (Though admittedly, not all) close friends know.
Until this morning. When some CRAZY mother announced it on the school yard, as I stood with a group of about 10 people. Of which ONE of those people knew about Mason's diagnosis.
A little back story for you... One day, back in probably November, I was walking home from taking the kids to school, and this mother approached me. Now, I am a tolerant person. I am caring, and giving, and understanding. I can be friends with almost everyone on the planet. Except this woman. Her child is a hellion. Her parenting skills are nil. Her social skills are worse. Her aura makes my skin crawl and I want to run in the opposite direction every time I see her. And I probably should from now on. I will give her the credit of saying that her son, who was adopted, has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. That can't be easy to parent. I get that. but oh man... if you saw them... ugh. Anyway! She approached (where approached = cornered) me one day and asked if Mason had been "Classified" yet. Not really knowing how to dodge that, and being without my crystal ball, I told her that yes, he had been DIAGNOSED with Autism. I wish I hadn't it was really none of her business. And now she has this idea that her and I can be best buds. I'm sorry. But we can't. I understand that we kinda have something in common, but we really don't.
So, this morning, as I was standing with my group of friends (and that's a fairly loose term for a few of them). This woman stopped me and asked if I had heard of some program (She said the name, I tried to Google it, can't find it. Something like Zigarette, but I don't know). I said I hadn't, and noticed that all eyes were on us. And then she said "Oh, I thought you would have since Mason has Autism. Right?" For the briefest of seconds I thought I might punch her in the face. How AWFUL is that!?!?! All I could do was say yes. And then thankfully, my friends seemed to disappear (As we all try to do when this woman comes near, and I feel so bad saying that... but I just can't be friends with her).
I know I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill... but man... time and place lady!!
*sigh*... I feel better now. Just had to get it out.
Friday, February 19, 2010
Gobsmacked.
Posted by MamaTink at 9:54 a.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Gah! I can see why you would be gobsmacked AND annoyed! I have a friend, who like you has chosen not to tell anyone about her son's diagnosis with autism, it is a parent's choice and perogative, darn gobby old ne'er do wells who can't shut their mouths!! Bless your heart, and Mason's too.
People. Suck. Just remember, that everyone (and i mean everyone) knows what an amazing woman you are. She, most likely, is so jealous of your grace, your ease, your amazing character, and your wonderful children. That YOU are raising (Well with the aid of a mister mister lol).
She's jealous. Trying to vindicate her lack of...everything. Everything that you have oozing out of you.
She's jealous. Straight up jealous.
Mason is lucky to have you as his mom. As are the other two.
<3
Awwww Lisa, big giant hugs.
What a turd of a woman. I am so sorry that happened.
Alisa
Post a Comment