CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

No Throttling occured here today

Well, it's all said and done and over for now. And there was no under-educated, under-qualified diagnoses offered today. Mason was brilliant :) I love that boy :) He didn't flick a light switch or line up a car once!! Phew!

She managed to do a more formal assessment of him, and came to the conclusion that WOW! He DOES have receptive language! shocking. **Rolling my eyes here** He is on the low side compared to the average, or just below average, but I'm okay with that, and take responsibility that perhaps I focus on getting his speech improved, and have let his language fall behind a bit. But, now that I am aware, you bet that we'll be working on prepositions and 2-3 step instructions :) (also plays in here the fact that he's the last baby, and sometimes it's just easier to do things for him instead of asking him to do tasks that I need to have done quickly. We'll work on it :))

She said that he definitely has speech and language delays, and also social delays. I'm not sure where I am on that one quite yet. I mean, he's only just 3, and he and C, who we invited to play for the assessment (as requested by Carmen), were parallel playing quite a bit I thought. Mason's eye contact was very low today. Which is a definite social red flag. But then at the end, when she was going over things, she said that his eye contact with C was low...but Mason spent a lot of the time trying to show Carmen things, and interact with her...so I don't know what she was basing her opinion on there. We'll work on that too. AND! When I gave Cory a snack Mason wanted the same thing, and wanted to leave the table where he was working with Carmen, so that he could sit with Cory. Seems pretty social to me...but I don't know... he also spends a lot of time doing his own thing.

I can't wait to get her report. My doctor is getting a copy as well. So I want to set up an appointment with him to go over everything that we've been through the past few months and see what his opinion on all of this is. To see if we need some sort of assessment done.

Al made a good point last night when I was talking about how I thought Mason's eating (or lack thereof) was sensory. Al pointed out that I have a lot of sensory issues as well. I can't stand pudding, because of how it feels in my mouth. I won't touch cotton balls because of the way they 'squeak' in between my fingers. I've been known to cut the tags off my shirts, especially the ones sewn into the side of the shirt. I don't do great with a lot of mixed media noises. like if the TV and radio are on, and then the kids are being loud, it drives me nuts. There's more, but this is supposed to be about Mason :) So, I'm in some ways leaning towards having him tested for Sensory Integration Disorder.

She is recommending him for the speech program (no surprise). That will start in a couple weeks. We are also going on the waiting list for him to get a resource teacher, who will be able to go into his pre-school and discuss ideas and therapies with them to work on with him while he's at school. I'm happy about that one, especially since he'll need that resource teacher when he gets into Kindergarten next year, and hopefully we won't have to get onto another waiting list for that!!

So, I think that's about it. Until I get her report, I won't know what our next step is really.

5 comments:

Julie Q said...

It sounds like he did great today! :)

Zachary still will avoid eye contact with people, until he gets to know them. And even in preschool, he preferred to play alone. He went to preschool during his 4 to 5 year school year. It has gotten better as the years have gone on.

Like we have discussed in the past, all children seem to have some.

Anyway....Glad it went so well today Lisa. :)

Anonymous said...

I went to a seminar on Sensory Integration Disorder, and the gist of it was that all of us have it to an extent, and the majority outgrow it, but some do not.
The recommendation for the speech program is key here, as it will definetly help Mason in the long run. Better to start early than later, as I have been thru that with my oldest DD.

Good Luck Lisa!

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

Stephanie said...

Yay! Congrats Lisa (and Mason)!

I do have to say that it really bugs me that just because a child his age is working alone, adults always say the child isn't social. Being social has nothing to do with playing all the time with other kids! I'd say I'm social, but I also love to do things solo. Anyway, end rant, but good for Mason and I'm sure he'll pick up on the language thing soon enough!

Jenn said...

You know I've been there.
(((hugs))))
If you can find a *more than words* course up there, it is well worth it. Get hooked up with as many outside resources as you can. They are easy to drop if you don't need them, but most of them have waiting lists, so get him on every waiting list possible while you can!
j.

Jackie said...

I'm glad the assessment went better than the first (and that there was no throttling!). I think that Mason is one lucky dude to have you for his mama!

For what it's worth - Gabriel also doesn't make eye contact very often, though I was watching him at tumble the other day just soaking in every bit of direction that Miss T gave him, eye contact and all!