CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 08, 2007

The Curse

(I know, I know, about damn time you say. I know. Just needed a break)

So, about the time I was , let's say, 5 1/2 years old, my stepfather (My George) put a curse on me. I've come to refer to it as the "Someday Curse". It goes something like this..."Someday, you are going to have a child that is Exactly like you, and I am going to sit back and laugh." I pretty much always ignored this curse, and did a rather exagerated eye roll and sigh(In my head of course).

Let's skip forward a few years. I am 21 years old, rather naive, and a new mother to a Beautiful baby girl. She was perfect. Smart as anything, talented, funny, everything I hoped for in a daughter.

Skip a wee bit farther. It's early January, 2007, and that perfect daughter is now 5 1/2. She's also been blessed with not one, but Two little brothers. Sitting at the dinner table, just "stretching her arms" within a fraction of an inch of her brother's placemat. Heaven forbid should she invade her brother's space, but really Daddy! She's "just resting her hand there!"

All I could think was OH! MY! GOD!!! It's THE CURSE!! It has happened!!! My daughter is EXACTLY like I was!!

I remember time after time, I would be sitting in the back seat of my parents very cool, powder blue 1987 Nissan Sentra, and feel this over-powering need to "fix my hair". Let me give you the translation on that. Fix my hair=running my fingers through my hair, stretching it out as far as it would stretch, and then flinging my hand at my brother, in the hopes of whacking him, and having Him get caught hitting me back. Hee hee hee. Worked like a CHARM! (Well, in my world it did.) And every time, my George would say to me, "Someday! Someday." (In my head I kind of see him also shaking his fist in the air, all Italian-ish, but I'm sure that was never really part of it.)

And tonight, at the dinner table, when it came to me that it was the curse, all I could think of was "Someday! Someday."

I think, whether I was aware of it or not, I inadvertantly put the Someday Curse on my daughter.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

~Lisa~

6 comments:

The other me said...

My mum put that curse on me, excpet she said " May you have a daughter that is even BETTER at this than you" Got it. I havecursed Sophie and told her I hope she has FOUR just like her! What goes around comes around.....always nice to have something to look forward to!

Julie Q said...

My Mom tried that with me. I think it backfired though! ;) Perhaps it was their bad parenting?

It is funny to hear things my parents used to say come out of my mouth on occasion.

Anonymous said...

I always thought it was a compliment when my mom said "when you grow up, I hope you have a daughter JUST LIKE YOU!" It wasn't until Ana was about 3 that I realized it's probably the worst thing she could have EVER said to me!LMAO!!!
Still, look on the bright side...having said daughter means you'll be one step ahead of her :)
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Ooops..sorry...that Jackie is me, benjackand2 from BZ :)

Jenn said...

MUWAAHAHAHAHA!
That is too funny!!
See - I don't have any girls - therefore, I can't have any like me......somehow I managed to get worse (WHAT?!) I keep thinking - Hey, I was never this naughty, why am I getting kids so much more naughty than I ever was.
I blame my husband ;)

and I put the curse on my kids too! ;)

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Well since she's a beautiful as you are it makes perfect sense doesn't it?