Warning, Jenny Joseph
When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
With a red hat, which doesn’t go and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain.
And pick flowers in other people’s gardens.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example to the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papaers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
I first read this poem when I was in grade 10 or 11. And to this day it remains my favourite. Every time I find myself doing something not quite as straight and narrow and I usually play this game of life, I always take a moment to remind myself that I am just practicing for my retirement. That Always makes me smile, and act a little crazier J
I was SO thrilled a few years ago when I started seeing small groups of women out and about, wearing their gorgeous red hats, and purple outfits. I can’t wait to belong to my own red hat society club. I wonder if there’s an age requirement? :) Probably, because in my heart of hearts, I am quite sure I am not ready for that :) My children are far too young, and I am not a fan of hats, yet :)
For Christmas, Al bought me the book The Red Hat Club by Haywood Smith. It’s based on the poem by Jenny Joseph. I LOVE IT!! I love every character, I love how the author weaves the story of their past and present so beautifully, I love the antics, and the tears, and the cheers! You should read it. Really, I mean it. Go, now. Buy it, borrow it, or steal it. It’s great, you’ll love it! The sequel (The Red Hat Club Rides Again) is pretty good as well, but I prefer the first book. I’m not usually one to recommend a book, but this one deserves recommending.
Happy Reading!!
~Lisa~
When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
With a red hat, which doesn’t go and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain.
And pick flowers in other people’s gardens.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example to the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papaers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
I first read this poem when I was in grade 10 or 11. And to this day it remains my favourite. Every time I find myself doing something not quite as straight and narrow and I usually play this game of life, I always take a moment to remind myself that I am just practicing for my retirement. That Always makes me smile, and act a little crazier J
I was SO thrilled a few years ago when I started seeing small groups of women out and about, wearing their gorgeous red hats, and purple outfits. I can’t wait to belong to my own red hat society club. I wonder if there’s an age requirement? :) Probably, because in my heart of hearts, I am quite sure I am not ready for that :) My children are far too young, and I am not a fan of hats, yet :)
For Christmas, Al bought me the book The Red Hat Club by Haywood Smith. It’s based on the poem by Jenny Joseph. I LOVE IT!! I love every character, I love how the author weaves the story of their past and present so beautifully, I love the antics, and the tears, and the cheers! You should read it. Really, I mean it. Go, now. Buy it, borrow it, or steal it. It’s great, you’ll love it! The sequel (The Red Hat Club Rides Again) is pretty good as well, but I prefer the first book. I’m not usually one to recommend a book, but this one deserves recommending.
Happy Reading!!
~Lisa~
3 comments:
On your recommendation I just put in a bid on ebay! I love that poem, will look forward to reading the book.
Wow! that's great Helen! That poem REALLY reminds me of you actually :) You have the guts to be a Red Hat for Sure!
~Lisa~
Oh I'm gonna get Gunther to check the library today!
Thanks for the suggestion!
Post a Comment