CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I need an idea...

So, on the mornings that I can't walk Jenna to school, her best friend's mom walks her. I drop Jenna off about 20 minutes before school starts, and D makes sure she's safe and entertained. We've had this arraginement for nearly the entire school year. It's awesome for me, and I love D. She's a great Mom, and just one of those people you know understands just what life is really like. I've offered to pay her for her time and energy etc. a few times, but she always flat out refuses.

So, I was thinking, that with the end of the year coming up, I'd love to give her a gift. But I haven't a Clue as to what kind of gift would be appropriate for this. I don't know her on a level where I would know many of her interests, music/movie/book tastes. I DO know that she likes to cook and bake. I know that she's an early to bed early to rise kind of person, and that because of an illness she has, she often has days where it's hard to get going, and she tires easily.
She has three incredible kids, whom I know she loves to bits, and a husband who works out of town and is often away most of the week.
I really want to do something for HER. I've offered to watch her kids any time she needs me to, but her oldest is 11, and is the most responsible 11 year old I know, and is very capable of watching her siblings. I was thinking of taking over a meal...but it doesn't seem like enough. Then I considered doing up a basket for a family movie night, with a Blockbuster gift card, popcorn, candy, the whole shabang...but I don't know if it's enough for HER. I could get movie theatre tickets for her and her husband, and free babysitting...but again, I know she goes to bed really early, and she's said before that when her and S were dating, she used to fall asleep at the movies. So, maybe not right?
I considered a spa card, but some people aren't really into that...and with her illness, I worry that she could have allergies, and wouldn't be able to have the creams and lotions used at the spa. So, out goes that AND the bubble bath gift basket idea too.
She said yesterday that she would LOVE to have a housekeeper (God, wouldn't we all!?) So I thought it might be cool to get her one for a month or something...but would that be like saying her house is a disaster (It's soooo not!!!)??
See my dilemma? What do I get D?! I need to say thank you in the kindest most thoughtful way, and my brain can't get past the basics :(
Help me out here!? Please? And Thank you in the kindest most thoughtful way :)
~Lisa~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like giving (and receiving) candles - that would be pretty safe. Also a gift card to her favorite store (maybe something like Michaels or the Body Shop)would work too. A nice kitchen towel set, flowers, and of course, chocolate may also be appreciated.

HTH Lisa!

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

Julie Q said...

I am not good at gift giving myself.

I know I would like a gift card to Bath and Body Works, but if she has allergies, that wouldn't be a good idea for her.

I'd also love a gift card from Kohls to get myself something new. I don't know if you have Kohls there. Or a store like it.

A day/morning/or afternoon out. Shopping?

See, I'm not good at this! :)

She sounds like a wonderful person Lisa. I hope you figure out something perfect for her. :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I'd actually go for the spa idea. I know you'd worry about allergies, but I have *serious* perfume allergies. My throat closes up, hives, the whole deal. Any creams, etc, with any sort of fragrance are out. But, spas now all carry hypoallergenic stuff and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Another thing about the spa... she doesn't have to get pedicures (which I personally hate!), facials, etc. A lot of spas also have hair salons, so she could use the certificate to get her hair done a few times.

You didn't say how much you were willing to spend. There's a big difference between $50, $100, $250... Umm... What about a gift card to a fancy restaurant in town for her and dh, and maybe a book store gift card or something like that?

The other me said...

Gift card for dinner or you could make some vouchers say ironing, babysitting, pick ups from school etc.....make a book of things you can do for her and write a note saying that you thought hard about how to thank her for all she does for you and that you will be hurt if she doesn't redeem her vouchers.

Anonymous said...

still thinking.. I want to come up with something great and I'm having a hard time