CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 13, 2007

Tough Love

I hate tough love. I hate being the Mommy sometimes. I hate needing to bring out my inner hard-ass. Blah. Hate.

Jenna is entering her "I'm-almost-6-and-I-am-the-princess-of-this-house,-and-my-mother-is-quickly-losing-all-of-her-intelligence-thereby-making-me-the-boss-of-the-world" Stage. How I loved that stage when I was almost 6. How I Loathe it at 27.
I swear, she tries my patience over everything! Unless someone else is watching. It's time to get dressed, Oh no! She didn't WANT That Shirt! Heavens no!! But!! Take her to the baby-sitters and she's an angel! Time to eat, stop talking, What!? I'm sure she couldn't hear me because she Won't Stop TALKING! BUT!! Take her to the store, and she's helping get the groceries, and suggesting menus for the week if she thinks someone might be listening to her! Have someone over for Dinner? She's setting the table and handing out napkins. Get her into her car seat, and she's a whiny brat because Aidan got to the seat she wanted first.
What on earth happened to my sweet as pie, take her anywhere, princess that I was once so proud of!? Where do they learn this Attitude from!?
She's currently up in her room, cleaning it from top to bottom because she was trying to take an hour to get her boots and coat on so we could all go to Wal-Mart. Al asked her about 20 minutes before he and I started getting ready to go to get her things on. Then he asked her again. Then I told Aidan to go get ready to go to Wal-Mart. He did. He got his coat, boots, hat and mits on in the time it took Jenna to get on one shoe. A shoe! AFTER I had told her to get her boots on. The came the melt down. The straw that broke this mommy's back. So I finally gave up...or maybe this time I didn't give up. I took my coat off, stopped butting on my boots, and told her we were staying. And then Al informed her of her room cleaning punishment, and an early bed time. And cue the second of many more melt downs tonight.
Are we asking too much of her!? I mean really. It was boots and coat. Which her 3 year old brother can do just fine. I didn't think it was too much to ask.
How the hell am I going to get through her defiant teen years if I am already pulling out my hair at 5 1/2? Oy. I almost want to take up smoking. But I won't. Because ew.
Pray for me.

~Lisa~

3 comments:

Julie Q said...

If the rules are laid down now, as a teen she will behave better. Not perfect of course, but better. She will know you mean business if you are firm from the start. And no, it wasn't too much to ask of her.

And oh boy, does that ever sound normal Lisa! Her attitude that is. :)

Heather said...

LOL..and it only gets beter! She's normal Lisa. They all go through their phases. Don't give in and you'll be fine!
As for the talking..just remember NOBODY can beat DUSTIN!!!! LOL
: )

The other me said...

I can tell you that the answer is to stick to your guns and be at one with Al, if I had done the first and been able to do the 2nd...Sophie might be a different girl. Don't give in, don't go down the anything for a quiet life road...it leads to Hell and back when they are teens!
Good for you and Al for working together now, it will be SO worth it!