Ugh. Henry, unlike many autistic children does not like numbers/counting/etc. He has a program where he is given a number card and has to then match it to a corresponding pile of the same number of blocks. He's made it to 6. And he hates it. And I dread it. But, we;ve made it to 6 right, so that's great progress. HA.
I set up the program today, and the first thing he does, naturally, is throws the card onto the closest pile. He knows it's wrong. And I know he can do this. So we try again. And it escalates. I remove him from the table when I see he's about to sweep everything off of it. And then the struggle to keep him on the couch escalated to him biting my sweater. I KNOW that it should NOT ever come to this, but he's so damn quick, and I'm so damn tired :( no excuse for me.
So I pull my arm back, and notice blood! Good lord, I nearly passed out, I have NO idea how it happened, but Henry's Tooth was imbedded in my sleeve!!! ACK!!! And OMG, the blood. It's been 20 years since I lost the tooth Henry lost today, but I don't remember the tooth being so freakin Long!! Or there being that much Blood!! He was SOOOO freaked out. I was almost crying right along with him.
You should have seen me...in hindsight I am sure it was hilarious to watch me...rushing him to the bathroom, scooping cold water into his resistant mouth, looking around frantically for a damn cloth, or cup or someone to take over while I collapsed :) I finally kicked into gear and got his shirt off(he can't tolerate wearing wet clothes) and a shirt of Aidan's on him. Then realized that the best thing would be some cold wet paper towel on the gap. the bleeding slowed down pretty quickly after that...thankfully.
I called Jenny right away, and did everything I could to calm to poor kid, who had NO idea that teeth fall out! he is almost 6, so the timing is right...but still, I wish it hadn't happened on my watch.
Jenny was so sad that she missed him losing his first tooth :) I gave her our extra tooth fairy box, and loaned her Jenna's tooth fairy book.
I tell you, these past two days have been more stressful than...well, something really stressful :)
~Lisa~
Friday, May 12, 2006
And then!!
Posted by MamaTink at 1:57 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Could he match M&Ms? Or Skittles? Or some other small treat to the numbers? Or is sugar a bad idea? :)
So sorry to hear about the tooth coming out! At first, I thought he drew your blood. Kids can really bite hard sometimes.
He has too many allergies for candy, and he has a very high yeast content in his system, so that much sugar would case him all sorts of trouble :) Otherwise you bet I'd be all over it :)
It's Very common for kids with Autism to have severe allergies. IMO all parents with autistic children should have there blood tested early on...saves a lot of hassle :)
~Lisa~
Post a Comment