Didn't go as smoothly as every mother hopes. Well, he's very healthy, and a hefty 23.6lbs! The size of a 12 month old for goodness sakes! Yikes.
However, I voiced some concerns. And they were heard.
Mason doesn't crawl yet. Not in the traditional way on hands and knees anyway.
Mason doesn't get himself into a sitting position. He can sit when sat though.
Mason doesn't pull himself up on furniture yet. He can stand with support and bear all his weight.
Mason's eye contact is limited.
Mason doesn't laugh very often.
Mason has a very unexpressive face.
All these things add up I guess. It looks and sounds awful in a list.
Our doctor spent quite a lot of time with him today. For a doctor's standards anyway.
The good news is:
He rolls from side to side.
He does play shy.
He sometimes enjoys playing peek-a-boo.
He babbles very well, and I am pretty sure he can say the word Bubble!!
and It's very obvious that he loves his Mama.(And Daddy of course...actually, I think he likes Daddy Better :))
So, other than wondering if he has poor muscle tone for his size(He's quite the chubs!) I didn't get many answers today.
I think he is fine. But I can't help but replay the moment when I was about 8 months pregnant, when Al wondered aloud to me if I was meant to work with ASD children, because God was trying to prepare me for our future.
So scary.
I have to take him back in 2 months for a follow-up assessment.
Hopefully by then I'll be able to laugh at my concerns.
~Lisa~
Monday, May 29, 2006
Mason's Optional 9 Month check-up.
Posted by MamaTink at 5:07 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
You know your little baby boy best Lisa. I do hope that in the next few weeks, he amazes you at his progress.
I think I might over watch my own little boy. But that is what a Mom does. That is also why, whatever comes along, we will be there for them.
HUGS... I'm hoping that in 3 months time your fears will be eased. I know in my heart that whatever the diagnosis however, Mason will have the VERY best Mama to help him through any struggles he may (or may not) have ahead.
Hugs
Julie
Some things happen for a reason Lisa, but it's best to go with your gut instinct & act on it right away. I'm sure Mason will come around & in time you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
I think he's still very young t be worried...alos if he is a chubster it will make standing etc more difficult...at keast you have voiced your worries and will be watched etc. I was convinced Eli was autistic too...he didn't speak til much later than my other kids ( apart from Isaac of course!!) he didn't walk til he was 13 months ( my others were SO much earlier) sometimes we look for things that aren't really there...and if they ARE there, he'll still ne Mason, he'll still be your boy and you will be as awesome as you are right now!!
Don't worry too much. I used to babysit for a little guy who sounds just like Mason. He was hefty and at his 9 month check he wasn't sitting, standing, and had just started rolling. They said he had bad muscle tone and put him in therapy. Within a month he was sitting and pulling himself up. And if for some reason there is something would be "wrong" I can't think of anyone better for Mason to have for a Mommy!
Lisa, having worked with ASD kids, you know what all the warning signs are - I thought I did too, and completely missed the boat with my own son.
Joey is very much like Mason - he was bigger than the other boys, and wasn't crawling at 9 months. Or talking.
or pulling up. He was almost too perfect - content to just sleep or sit wherever we plopped him.
He is language delayed, but other than that, he is the only one of my kids who is NOT ASD. Imagine that!
We are using the Hanen method of speech therapy for him, and the results have been astounding.
Mason could be a late bloomer. It's so hard because you have two other kids that you can't help but compare him against. You also have some special needs kids that you work with regularly, and those 'symptoms' are on the forefront of your mind all the time.
Even if Mason does turn out to have some sort of PDD - who better to work with him than his own mum! You know that early intervention makes ALL the difference in the world, and with your training, you are the ideal person to ensure that he gets that!
(((((hugs)))))
I know it's hard when you get that gut feeling that something might not be quite right. Trust your instincts, but leave yourself open to other possibilities. :)
Hey Lisa. Jess told me about your blog on this & I wanted to tell you about my nephew Will.
At 10.5 months, Will did not crawl, babble, laugh, sit on his own. He did not make eye contct. If sil left the room, he would whine till she came back. He didn't roll much. No expressions really, except whining. He was just like Mason, except a bit older. And he couldn't support his weight when standing.
At 11.5 months, Will started babbling & army man crawling. He started laughing. Within TWO WEEKS he was walking & talking. My sil was ready to talk to the dr at his 1 yr appt about it...but didn't need to.
Also, Riley just started hands & knees crawling last weekend...at almost 10 months!
I just wanted you to hear about a little one with all the same things who turns out was just a late bloomer. :) Of course, if Mason does have ASD, what a great Mommy he will have for that!!!
Thank you ALL so very very much for your comments on this.
EAch and every one has touched my heart.
~Lisa~
Post a Comment