CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

All I wanted was a cup of Tea.

And i nearly burned the house down!! Okay, well, it wasn't Quite at the point yet, but not far from it I imagine.

I turned on the wrong burner again. This time there was a plastic bowl on the burner. In my hurry to get things together for the three kids, and me the night before going back to work, I didn't get to the dishes. Al cleared the table for me, but I didn't make it to the kitchen before falling into bed last night. And then when I got home yesterday afternoon, I was so tired that all I really wanted was a cup of tea. I put the kettle on a different burner than normal, and just flicked the switch. Out of habit I turned on the burner that I use most often. And of course, the only one that had something other than the kettle on it.

My kitchen was FULL of smoke. So much so that I had to bend down a bit to get a good breath. luckily it happened just a few minutes before we were due to leave to get Jenna from school anyway, so I got the hazard out of the way, and got the boys out of the house. We got Jenna and went immediately to Wal-Mart for a new electric kettle. I figured enough was enough, if I can't get it through my brain to check the stove, then it's better to spend the money to protect my family. I also got some Lysol Nuetra Air stuff. I like how it sprays, but it's not the best for eliminating a smoke smell. (Just a little product review for ya :))

I'll be spending today washing my curtains, and every other surface of my kitchen.

Try as I might, I can't help but think over and over of what Could have happened. I'm sooo grateful that we are all okay(Just a headache for me), and that I went to check on the kettle when I did.

I need to be more organized. I need to be more attentive. I need to pay attention to the world around me. I need to run the dishwasher. I need to have more sleep. I need to give my head a shake.

~Lisa~

5 comments:

Julie Q said...

Don't be so hard on yourself Lisa. I bet it will never happen again. We live and learn.

You can try boiling water and cinnamon, watching that the pan doesn't go dry. It makes the house smell really good and helps with odors.

Other than that, I hope your first day back went well.

Anonymous said...

Oh Losa, don't be so hard on yourself!
When we first moved up here, I did that ALL the time, because I wasn't (still adjusting) used to electric burners...
And yes, boiling water w/cinnamon smells DIVINE!!!!

(((hugs)))
Jes

The other me said...

I did that once, and my MIL stood right next to it, watching it burn and then said " Is that meant to be doing that Helen?" DUH! DOes it stink the place down or what?!? hope the cinnamon water works!

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Isn't life with a newborn just grand? Sounds like you've got too much on the go.. cut yourself some slack girlie :)

Hugs

Jenn said...

((((hugs)))))

We've all had days like that - and yes, my kitchen has been filled with smoke before......Chalk it up to experience! You're a busy busy mum. You're allowed to have a mental lapse now and again - you're human. I'm off to fill a pan with cinnamon and water - I would like a nice smelling house :)