CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 21, 2005

Croup

Aidan has croup. He's been barking since late Saturdy night. It seemed to come in fits and starts all day Sunday, along with a fever off and on. Finally around 8:00 Aidan's fever was up to 102.3, and he couldn't catch very much breath in between. Al ran out to get some Tylenol for him. I had to run him outside so he could get his coughing under control.

After listening to him for awhile longer, we decided there was no way he'd be able to sleep with the way he was coughing and breathing, so I took him to the ER.

Fastest I've ever been in and out of an ER! We didn't have to wait to be seen by he nurse at all. And I bet we saw the doctor within 30-40 minutes of being put into the isolation room. They gave him some cool mist/oxygen to breathe in while we waited, and then a steroid orally, and in a breathing treatment. He did really well the whole time. Just freaked out a bit when he woke up and I was holding the mask over his face. He kept telling me over and over that he's "Very sick", poor guy :( The nurse taking care of him said that he was working really hard to get his breath. His chest cavity was pulling in, as was that little spot at the base of his neck, where the collarbone meets.

All in all we were out of the ER within 2 hours. That must be a new record.

He seems a little better today. The coughing has gotten a lot better, but is still there. His breathing is remarkably better too, unless he's crying, then it seems to be worse. Hopefully this is short lived. I hate it when my babies are sick.

Anyway, off to administer more cuddles.

~Lisa~

3 comments:

Julie Q said...

It sounds so awful doesn't it? Zachary was my only baby to have croup. The medicine made him so crabby! I stopped giving it to him as soon as I thought it was safe to.

I hope Aidan is better soon. Poor little guy.

Good for you getting through the ER so fast. :)

Jenn said...

poor aidan. We did the same exact thing with Duncan, only it took us 4 hours start to finish in the ER......grrr.
Matthew got it next, and now Joey is just finishing it, along with teething, so he's super miserable. I hate hearing that raspy struggle to breathe. Hope Mason stays healthy!!

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Awww :( Hope he feels better soon! And how great is your boss??? So wonderful!