So, here we are. At yet another, "oh woe is me and my child, Mason won't sleep" post. I know, it's been awhile, and I promise to try not to turn it into yet another "oh woe is me and my child won't eat" post at the same time. Maybe, if you're lucky, I will save that gem for...dun dun dun DUN...Tomorrow! Yay!
So seriously. Mason is 18 months old. Mason is NOT sleeping through the night! I am going nuts. We took away his soother a few months ago. And since then, he has stopped sleeping through the night. Every night, sometime between 12 and 3, he's up, screaming his face off for Mommmeeee!!!! I get up, bring him into bed with me, and get the crap kicked and jabbed out of me for hours. It's just not working anymore!
I'm pretty sure that what he needs are two things, One, I will probably have to get tough with him again. I'll have to go through a few more nights of him crying it out (GAH! Heartbreak!! Agony!). And Two, he needs a security item.
Jenna had a receiving blanket, first a ratty bunny one, and then a plain blue one. Which we (honest to god) forget in Timmins last summer. She cried herself to sleep a few nights, until she latched onto a teaddy bear that Aidan got as a gift from my best friend when he was born. She still sleeps with it, and cuddles it when she's tired or sad. I am totally fine with that.
Aidan hasn't formed as deep of an attachment as Jenna, but he still must have his small Winnie the Pooh pillow on top of his Spiderman pillow, and his red fleece star blanket that my SIL gave ME two Christmases ago. However, he won't have a complete meltdown like Jenna if either of those are in the wash.
Mason doesn't have anything like that. When I was breastfeeding, he had me. After that it was his soother. After that there was nothing my Mom and Dad to give him the comfort he craves. I can't help but wonder, if I find something that brings him comfort, will he sleep better? Will he be more willing to let me work in the kitchen without him constantly pulling on my clothes and pushing against me to get my attention? Will my husband hesitate to try to calm him with a cookie or treat, in favour of his new favourite thing?? I wish I knew the answers. It really saddens me that I don't.
I tried a blankie for a couple days, and while he would cuddle into it if I put it over my shoulder, he rejected it in his crib, and when he was upset with me for not picking him up for the eleventy billionth time that day. He has shown a fondness for Jenna's teddy bear lately, so I dug through the stuffies, and found a similar bear. He did cuddle up with it, and seemed genuinely happy to be holding it...so maybe I am onto something there. I just put him for his nap, and I made sure the bear was with him. We'll see what happens when he wakes up. Pray for me that he's holding that bear!!!!
~Lisa~ (Taking your advice donations daily!)
4 comments:
When Sarah was super little I'd put her down with the shirt I was wearing (still warm smelling strongly of me). This helped.
Neither of my girls are security types though. Sarah needs a nightlight but Chloe gets nothing. Both of them had a few months in their mid 2s where Mommy would lie down with them until they fell asleep but both have now been weaned of this.
If Sarah wakes up in the night she'll crawl into bed with us (Gunther gets up and goes to sleep in her bed) and this happens maybe 1X a month.
Chloe will still wake up and call for me and need me to go sleep with her maybe 1X a week which isn't bad -- but she doesn't kick or punch or move around that much ;)
GL
If you figure it out, let me know. ;) Zachary still gets up a few times a week! He is doing better with school, but ugh!
With the weather warming up, maybe if you get him outside more and tucker him out, he will sleep better?
If he doesn't latch on to the bear you gave him today, take him shopping and let him pick out a favorite little friend? If he doesn't scream for half the store that is. ;) That is never fun.
And lastly, I know he is very young, but, a regular size bed? If he's kicking you in your bed, perhaps he is kicking the sides and waking himself up? We switched Amanda at 1 1/2 for the same reason and it worked really good.
I know how you feel Lisa.....Joseph had a soother until he was well over a year and I had to rock him to sleep until he was 2 years old. Keep trying the teddy bear...Joe still has the same one he got when he was 3 months old and he's 11 now!!! : )
Have patience with him and yourself..you are a great Mommy!!!
Both girls still have their blankies that they only need at night, but Kaitlyn still sucks her thumb (much harder to get rid of than a soother!)The odd time they wake up in the middle of the right & come into our bed, they are pretty squirmy, so DH bolts & gets up early. Hang in there Lisa - sorry I'm not much help!
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
Post a Comment