CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 25, 2005

The End of That Chapter.

Today was the last day for me to work with Logan. I hate hate hate to say it, but it was bittersweet for me.

While on one hand, I am sad to be leaving him, on the other, I'm not sad at all.

You see, Logan has been quite the challenge for me. He's a bull, there's no moving him once he's got an idea. There were days that I just wanted to hang my head and cry because I just couldn't get through to him. There were days when I came home with bruises, and I will always have a memory of him on my right wrist. I took him to a restaurant shortly after I started working with him. Foolish me. He kept running from the table(Thank God we were the only people in there!!) and one time when I reached out to grab him he turned into Edward Scissorhands and gouged my arm. Leaving a permanent scar on my wrist.

He also did poorly with his work. He never made it past the letter A, or the number One. I am so ashamed to admit that. But no matter what I tried, he just didn't excel in a lot of areas. I hope his new Therapist will be able to help him more. He made me feel like such a poor therapist. Like I was wasting our time, and his parents money.

But, I know his mother needed the break. Understandably so. So, week after week I went. I prayed that he would have a break through...and week after week it was pretty much the same. And his mother was grateful for the 3-4 hours she got to do her own thing, and I was grateful for getting paid. I felt very young going there. Too young to be qualified.

Things did improve over time with his behaviour. He stopped trying to chew and pull on my clothes. he stopped scratching me, and hallelujah, he even stopped hitting me!! He would take his hands out of his mouth with a look(God how that bothered me!) And he eventually would sign to me to communicate. He said a new word when I was working with him!! One. that was his word. We were working on his receptive number one...I said, like every other time before "Logan, show me Number One" And all of a sudden, he says, in his unsteady, unsure voice "Ooooonne". I think I did cry that day! And it was one of the rare days that his mother got excited after I gave her a run down of his day!

I cried today. When saying goodbye. I don't know why...I guess it's what I do. His mother was so nice to me. She gave my daughter a gift for her birthday...and they never even met. And she gave me a gift card to the mall as a thank you gift when I left. I was touched. I'll miss chatting with her. But, she has promised to keep in touch, even said she would love to come visit me in the hospital after the baby is born :) I hope she does.

So, that's it for that Chapter in my life. On to another day. Another client. Another challenge.

~Lisa~

1 comments:

Jenn said...

It does sound bittersweet. I don't know how I would react. It's hard, but I think you did make progress with him. You may not see the fruits of your efforts, but his next therapist will, and she'll have you to thank for it.
Now you get to move on to the challenge of having 3 kids! It's hard let me tell ya, but after working with challenged kids, you'll find your own a delightful little piece of heaven - although I can see the mischief in Aidan's eyes already. Look out. And keep the chocolate syrup locked up!